Sunday, May 19, 2013

You Are A Promise


“You are a promise; you are a possibility. You are a promise with a capital ‘P.’ You are a great big bundle of potentiality. And if you listen, you’ll hear God’s voice. And if you’re trying, [God] will help you make the right choices. You’re promise to be -- anything [God] wants you to be!”                                     
 -- “I am a Promise” by the Bill Gaither Trio

“For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well.”                       
-- Psalm 139:13-14

My sweetest niece Hadley, 
We were thrilled to meet you last week! Being an aunt and uncle is the best gig in the world. We get all the fun of spoiling you without the full responsibility. I could snuggle you all day long and marvel at the miracle of life that brought you to us.  You came with your own unique characteristics -- an extra long thumbnail, a voracious appetite, strong arms (ready to throw for corn hole), and glorious chubby cheeks. You’re a wonderful gift we unwrap each day as we get to know your personality, your preferences, and your delights. 
I pray all babies in this world would be as welcomed and beloved. That each child might be cradled and nurtured and given the opportunities you will have to learn and grow. You’re a great big bundle of potentiality wrapped in a blanket dotted with pink hearts.  Our tender hearts hope you’ll become anything and everything God wants you to be. We will do our best to help you listen to God’s voice. We’ll love you even when you make the wrong choices. We’ll always be there, urging you as you crawl, catching you as you toddle, and encouraging you as you drive away from home someday. 
I also hope this world will become more welcoming and loving because of babies like you. Perhaps your generation will help us eliminate poverty and provide equal opportunities in education and jobs. Maybe you all will find a cure for AIDS and cancer. You could turn us to nonviolent ways of solving our conflicts. Or you might swing wide the doors of our hearts so people can love whom they love, regardless of gender or race or religion or class. There is so much possibility in you just waiting to unfold. 
You are a promise, my dear niece. 
Love you with all my heart, 
Aunt Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment